- Alumni News
- Campaigns and Elections
- Employment and Internships
- Political Leaders Profile
- PLP Class of 2006
- PLP Class of 2007
- PLP Class of 2008
- PLP Class of 2009
- PLP Class of 2010
- PLP Class of 2012
- PLP Class of 2013
- Sorensen in the News
- Sorensen Programs
- Candidate Training Program
- College Leaders
- Danville-Southside Program
- High School Leaders
- Political Journalists Program
- Political Leaders Program
- Youth Programs
- Sorensen Staff
- State and Regional Boards
CTP Alumni News
Alicia Hughes (CTP Winter 2009, PLP 2009) was recently appointed to the Virginia College Building Authority (VCBA) by Governor Bob McDonnell.
The VCBA is authorized to issue revenue bonds and notes to finance (1) capital projects of public institutions of higher education under the Pooled Bond Program; (2) capital projects of public institutions of higher education under the 21st Century College and Equipment Programs; and (3) loans to private, non-profit institutions of higher education within the Commonwealth. The VCBA most recently issued $333 million in tax-exempt bonds to bolster the research efforts of 23 universities across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Effective Nov. 1, Bryan Rhode (PLP 2008, CTP 2009) will serve as Virginia's Secretary of Public Safety. Since January of 2013, Bryan has served as Deputy Secretary of Public Safety. Bryan was previously appointed as a Commissioner of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control in April of 2012.
"I'm looking forward to continuing to work with the many incredible public safety professionals who keep Virginia safe every day," Bryan said.
The Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) recognized Del. Rich Anderson (PLP 2012, CTP Winter 2009) and Sen. Bryce Reeves (PLP 2009, CTP Winter 2010) with its "2013 Virginia Legislator of the Year Award".
The award recognizes Rich and Bryce for their work as co-chairs of the General Assembly Military and Veteran Caucus. Since 2011, Rich has chaired the General Assembly Military and Veteran Caucus. He was joined by Bryce as co-chair in 2012. The body serves as the legislative clearing house for bills that are introduced on behalf of veterans and military missions based in Virginia.
Speaking to the group, Rich said that “as a 30-year Air Force veteran, I’m committed to quality-of-life initiatives for our veterans in Virginia."
In accepting the award, Bryce stated that “it’s been a singular honor to work on behalf of Virginians who have worn the uniform of our country. Virginia has a nationally recognized reputation as one of the most veteran-friendly states in the country, and I’m pleased to be part of the leadership team that has worked to make that happen.”
Sorensen alumni were appointed on July 12 to the following Virginia boards:
Board for Behavioral Health and Developmental Services
• Dr. Amelia Ross-Hammond (CTP 2011, PLP 2012) of Virginia Beach, Director of Service Learning and Distinguished Professor, Civics Engagement with Norfolk State University and Council Member for the City of Virginia Beach
Virginia Fire Services Board
• Felix Sarfo-Kantanka, Jr.* (PLP 2004) of Richmond, Assistant Vice President of State Government Relations for McGuireWoods Consulting
Del. Rich Anderson (PLP 2012, CTP Winter 2009) and Sen. Bryce Reeves (PLP 2009, CTP Winter 2010) were appointed by Governor McDonnell to the Commission on Military Installations and Defense Activities.
Governor McDonnell Announces Board and Commission Appointments
RICHMOND – Governor Bob McDonnell today announced appointments to five boards and commissions. Further announcements regarding additional appointments in the McDonnell administration will continue to be made in the months ahead.
Board of Forestry
· John W. Burke, III of Woodford
· Thomas W. Evelyn of New Kent, Executive Vice President of Charles City Timber and Mat
Commission on Military Installations and Defense Activities
· The Honorable Richard L. Anderson of Woodbridge, Member of the House of Delegates
· The Honorable Richard D. Brown of Henrico, Secretary of Finance
· The Honorable Jim Cheng of McLean, Secretary of Commerce and Trade
· The Honorable Marla Graff Decker of Henrico, Secretary of Public Safety
· Lieutenant General (USAF-Ret) Al Edmonds of Alexandria
· Lieutenant General (USMC-Ret) Emerson N. Gardner of Arlington
· Admiral (USN-Ret) John C. Harvey, Jr. of Charlottesville
· The Honorable Bryce E. Reeves of Spotsylvania, Member of the Virginia Senate
· The Honorable Terrie L. Suit of Stafford, Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security
· Lieutenant General (USA-Ret) John R. Wood of Alexandria
Family and Children’s Trust Fund
· Dawn Wadiak Chillon of Rockville, Executive Director and Child and Family Therapist with The Foundation for Family Healing
Joint Leadership Council of Veterans Service Organizations
· Richard A. Mansfield, CMSgt, (Ret). of Hampton, Director of Business Relations, Enspyr, LLC
· Brett P. Reistad of Manassas
Virginia Council on Women
· Carey Lyon Sousa of Mechanicsville, Mortgage Loan Officer with Monarch Mortgage
Bryan Rhode (PLP 2008, CTP Winter 2009) has been appointed to serve as Gov. McDonnell's Deputy Secretary of Public Safety.
Congratulations to the Sorensen alumni who won on election day!
Jonathan Baliles, Richmond City Council
Kelly Carmichael Booz, Alexandria School Board
Dave Butler, Leesburg Town Council
John Taylor Chapman, Alexandria City Council
Glenn Davis, Virginia Beach City Council
Dan Edwards, Virginia Beach School Board
Kimberly Gray, Richmond City School Board
Robert Hurt, U.S. House of Representatives
Scott Rigell, U.S. House of Representatives
Dave Roberts, San Diego County Board of Supervisors
Amelia Ross-Hammond, Virginia Beach City Council
Paul Smedberg, Alexandria City Council
Leonard Tengco, Virginia Beach School Board
Justin Wilson, Alexandria City Council
Rosemary Wilson, Virginia Beach City Council
If you know of someone we missed, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and office.
Amelia Ross-Hammond (CTP 2011; PLP 2012) has announced her candidacy for Virginia Beach City Council in the Kempsville district.
The Board of Governors of Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference (VSB-YLC) voted to honor Leonard C. Tengco (PLP 2011; CTP 2012) for his outstanding service to the bar and the public. Last October, Tengco served as the Chair of the Hampton Roads Minority Pre-Law Conference hosted at Regent University School of Law. Guest speakers included Sorensen's very own John L. Newby II (PLP 2011), Stephen E. Parker (PLP 2011), and Tony H. Pham (PLP 2012), and nearly one-hundred college students throughout Virginia attended the full-day event. Tengco will be formally recognized at the VSB-YLC Reception, held in conjunction with the Virginia State Bar's 74th Annual Membership & Awards Meeting at the Cavalier Hotel Beach Club in Virginia Beach next month.
Tengco is also a candidate for the Virginia Beach School Board-Centerville District. His 2011 PLP Class voted him as having the "Best Sense of Humor" and "Most Likely to be Involved in a Political Scandal."