- Alumni News
- Campaigns and Elections
- Employment and Internships
- Political Leaders Profile
- PLP Class of 2006
- PLP Class of 2007
- PLP Class of 2008
- PLP Class of 2009
- PLP Class of 2010
- PLP Class of 2012
- PLP Class of 2013
- Sorensen in the News
- Sorensen Programs
- Candidate Training Program
- College Leaders
- Danville-Southside Program
- High School Leaders
- Political Journalists Program
- Political Leaders Program
- Youth Programs
- Sorensen Staff
- State and Regional Boards
PLP Alumni News
On Tuesday the Virginia Leadership Institute (VLI) recognized 10 outstanding African-American leaders under 40 who have made an impact on Northern Virginia. Three of the Top 10 Under 40 are Sorensen alumni: John Taylor Chapman (PLP 2010), Howard Foard (PLP 2013) and Terron Sims (PLP 2007).
“The Virginia Leadership Institute is proud to honor young African-Americans in Northern Virginia who are raising the bar in their professions and in the community,” said Virginia Leadership Institute founder and CEO Krysta Jones (PLP 2006). “Our honorees are entrepreneurs, elected officials, military veterans, executives and community leaders. Not too long ago some Blacks avoided moving to Virginia because of the long-held stereotypes associated with Virginia’s role as a slave state. These honorees prove that young African-Americans are actively working to make the commonwealth a better place for all Virginians to live and work.”
Bios of all 10 honorees are available as a PDF on VLI's website.
Ann Harbour (PLP 2012) has been appointed to the Virginia Council on Women. The purpose of the Council is to identify ways in which women can reach their potential and make their full contribution to society and the Commonwealth.
Governor McDonnell Announces Board Appointments and Additional Appointment to Administration
RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell today announced an appointment to his administration in the Secretary of Natural Resources office. He also announced appointments to three boards and commissions. Further announcements regarding additional appointments in the McDonnell administration will continue to be made in the months ahead
Secretary of Natural Resources
Sara Benghauser, Assistant Secretary of Natural Resources
Sara Benghauser manages legislative affairs and the regulatory review process in the Natural Resources Secretariat, aids in policy development, and works to ensure that the governor’s natural resources and energy priorities are advanced. She also provides oversight for Natural Resource Boards and Commissions, and works on issues related to Virginia’s Indian community. Since January 2010, Ms. Benghauser has served the Secretary of Natural Resources as Special Assistant for Policy and Legislation.
Prior to her appointment in January 2010, she worked on the transition team for Governor McDonnell, working with the policy team, preparing materials for the new administration. Benghauser worked for Virginia State Senator Walter Stosch, helping track legislation and handling constituent concerns, prior to the election of Governor McDonnell.
Benghauser received her Master of Public Administration in May 2010 from Virginia Commonwealth University and her undergraduate degree in History from James Madison University in 2008.
Commission on Local Government
- Bruce C. Goodson of Williamsburg, President of Diamond/Goodson Equipment Corporation and Former Member of James City County Board of Supervisors
Virginia Council on Women
- Ann C. Harbour of Manakin Sabot, Director of Membership for the Virginia Association of Health Plans
Virginia Manufactured Housing Board
- Carey A. Brace of Chester, Senior Sales Administrator for Creative Office Environments
- Walter S. Cleaton of South Hill, Owner of Home Solutions
Dale Durrer (PLP 1996) will be the new General District Court Judge for Virginia's 16th District. The General Assembly appointed him by a unanimous vote on April 4. The appointment was to a six-year term effective July 1.
Dale is currently serving as a deputy attorney in the Culpeper County Commonwealth's Attorney Office, where he started working in 2003.
You can learn more about Dale and the General District Court judgeship at the Culpeper Star Exponent.
Del. Rich Anderson (PLP 2012, CTP Winter 2009) and Sen. Bryce Reeves (PLP 2009, CTP Winter 2010) were appointed by Governor McDonnell to the Commission on Military Installations and Defense Activities.
Governor McDonnell Announces Board and Commission Appointments
RICHMOND – Governor Bob McDonnell today announced appointments to five boards and commissions. Further announcements regarding additional appointments in the McDonnell administration will continue to be made in the months ahead.
Board of Forestry
· John W. Burke, III of Woodford
· Thomas W. Evelyn of New Kent, Executive Vice President of Charles City Timber and Mat
Commission on Military Installations and Defense Activities
· The Honorable Richard L. Anderson of Woodbridge, Member of the House of Delegates
· The Honorable Richard D. Brown of Henrico, Secretary of Finance
· The Honorable Jim Cheng of McLean, Secretary of Commerce and Trade
· The Honorable Marla Graff Decker of Henrico, Secretary of Public Safety
· Lieutenant General (USAF-Ret) Al Edmonds of Alexandria
· Lieutenant General (USMC-Ret) Emerson N. Gardner of Arlington
· Admiral (USN-Ret) John C. Harvey, Jr. of Charlottesville
· The Honorable Bryce E. Reeves of Spotsylvania, Member of the Virginia Senate
· The Honorable Terrie L. Suit of Stafford, Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security
· Lieutenant General (USA-Ret) John R. Wood of Alexandria
Family and Children’s Trust Fund
· Dawn Wadiak Chillon of Rockville, Executive Director and Child and Family Therapist with The Foundation for Family Healing
Joint Leadership Council of Veterans Service Organizations
· Richard A. Mansfield, CMSgt, (Ret). of Hampton, Director of Business Relations, Enspyr, LLC
· Brett P. Reistad of Manassas
Virginia Council on Women
· Carey Lyon Sousa of Mechanicsville, Mortgage Loan Officer with Monarch Mortgage
Bryan Rhode (PLP 2008, CTP Winter 2009) has been appointed to serve as Gov. McDonnell's Deputy Secretary of Public Safety.
Bo Trumbo (PLP 2009) was appointed to the newly created position of Bridgewater College Alumni Association's Trustee Liaison to the Bridgewater College Board of Trustees on Nov. 2. He served as President of the Bridgewater College Alumni Association from 1988-1989. "I am honored, yet humbled by this appointment," said Trumbo, "I am looking forward to serving Bridgewater College."
Congratulations to the Sorensen alumni who won on election day!
Jonathan Baliles, Richmond City Council
Kelly Carmichael Booz, Alexandria School Board
Dave Butler, Leesburg Town Council
John Taylor Chapman, Alexandria City Council
Glenn Davis, Virginia Beach City Council
Dan Edwards, Virginia Beach School Board
Kimberly Gray, Richmond City School Board
Robert Hurt, U.S. House of Representatives
Scott Rigell, U.S. House of Representatives
Dave Roberts, San Diego County Board of Supervisors
Amelia Ross-Hammond, Virginia Beach City Council
Paul Smedberg, Alexandria City Council
Leonard Tengco, Virginia Beach School Board
Justin Wilson, Alexandria City Council
Rosemary Wilson, Virginia Beach City Council
If you know of someone we missed, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and office.