Candidate Training Program Application
We are not currently accepting applications for the 2015 Candidate Training Program. Applications for the 2016 Candidate Training Program will begin being accepted in Autumn 2015.
- PLEASE NOTE: This is an online application. There is no way to save a partially completed application and return to work on it later. For this reason, we recommend that you prepare everything you will need to complete the application in advance.
- After you have read the instructions, questions, and have prepared everything you will need to complete the application, follow the link at the bottom of this page. That link will take you directly to the online application for the Candidate Training Program Class of January 2015. Again, please remember to prepare everything you will need prior to filling out the online application. There is no way to save your work and return to it later.
- The CTP application includes a series of short essay questions in addition to some basic contact and background information. See below for details.
- Please make sure you have noted the dates of the program (January 22 to 25th) and can attend all sessions; attendance at all sessions of the program is required for participation.
- Applicants may also submit up to two letters of recommendation. These are not required, and we will not review more than two letters. Letters must be postmarked by Monday, November 10, 2014 for consideration and should be addressed to:
Attn: Candidate Training Program
P.O. Box 400206
Charlottesville, VA 22904
2015 Essay Questions
The CTP online application includes a number of short-answer essay questions. Each question requires a 250 to 500-word answer. Be aware that the essays are a significant part of the selection process and very important to making admissions decisions. The essay questions on the Candidate Training Program online application are as follows:
- Describe your recent leadership activities. What do you consider to be your highest leadership achievement so far?
- What academic, community, governmental, political, professional or other activity are you most proud of? What barriers have you encountered while pursuing this activity?
- What political office are you planning to run for? When are you planning to run?
- What does state or local government in Virginia do well?
- What would you like to change about government in Virginia?
- What specific skills, knowledge or resources do you hope to acquire as a result of participating in the Sorensen Institute Political Leaders Program?
2015 Contact/Background Information
You should also be prepared with the following information to succesfully complete the CLP application:
- How did you learn about the Sorensen Institute?
- Current employment: employer, your title, your supervisor, work address and phone number
- Education: high school, college, graduate school, and any relevant non-degree training programs
- Past Employment: list any past employers including your title, supervisor, and dates of employment
- Activities: list any past organizations and activities that you have been involved in that demonstrate your commitment to public service, community involvement, and/or volunteer work.
- Contact information: your current mailing address, home phone, work phone, cell phone, and email address
If you have any questions about the CTP application,
contact April Auger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-243-2470.